Friday, June 4, 2010

Why Am I Here


This blog will detail my experiences at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, held in Los Angeles from June 15-17. I am not a member of any gaming publication - be it a magazine, blog, or any other type of media. I am simply a gamer, I work for Target, I am 24 years old and I am going to go somewhere that I have no business being.

First I need to thank the guys behind Jumpgate Evolution - Gazillion Entertainment, and NetDevil. These companies are the reason that I am going. They saw fit to gift upon me, and select other members from the JGE community, a guest pass to attend the expo. For 3 whole days I get to see behind the scenes. I get to collect glorious, glorious swag. I get to play game demo's that I normally only read first impressions of. Maybe I will even get to shake the hand of some of the industry greats (I'll be hunting down the good doctors from BioWare that's for certain). Most importantly though, NetDevil, thank you. You have a fan for life. Despite how great or not-so-great JGE and any other project you are working on is, I will defend you as a company. This is the ultimate fan service. This truly is an above and beyond situation for me. So thank you.

The first thing on my agenda is to try and create a mental map of the expo. I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb; spending my time staring up into the rafters and bumping into E3 veterans as I attempt to orient myself to my surroundings. I also don't know where I need to go first, as thus far there is no public information on when certain events are taking place (keynotes, special presentations and the like). If they are available they are behind a media access wall on the E3 site, which I have zero access to. Hopefully that information becomes more readily available as the event draws closer. Otherwise, my mental map of the show floor will have to quickly determine a footpath for me when I enter the expo and learn of the time schedules.

Additionally, living in Southern California I have yet to decide on whether to procure lodging for a few days, or simply commute back and forth from my home (maybe 1hr30min each way - so not too bad). I have a friend that lives in Long Beach, so I hope to take advantage of his hospitality. Also I am sure the bar scene will be pretty busy during the convention days, and that is extra time to shake hands with people for no reason other than to say I did.

There will probably be zero updates from the day this post is published. I do intend on updating this blog as often as I think I can during the expo as I think it will help me bleed off some overbuilt hype I am sure to have flowing through me as I wander about.

No comments:

Post a Comment