Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My day 1 impressions

I signed in and wandered into the main hall about 30 minutes early and you could feel the buzz, everyone was waiting for the doors to open. Grabbing everything not tied down and having to do with E3 I waited for the doors to open, and when they did, it was a sight. More neon and geeks per square foot than I had ever seen in one place.

Now as a start I know the focus is E3/ND, however since we will not be able to see JGE until day 3, I am going to focus on trends and hardware. If I mention a game, it is because it looked and felt above par. Any hardware I mention is for use or would be cool to use with JGE, this is not a personal recommendation or blog for that company, just me noting something that was cool to look at amoung all the glitter.

The first bit of hardware was a 43" curved, yes I said curved monitor. Native resolution is 2880 X 900, response time is .02 milliseconds, 10,000 to 1 contrast, 71 DPI, aspect ratio is 32:10. Why is this neat, it takes away from having to use 3 monitors to get a full field of vision and it has a consistent focus point (bezel) so that your eyes do not have to readjust, when looking at different monitors. To see more http://www.ostendo.com/.


The second item was that Playseat has released a flight seat. It is an ergonomic padded chair with 2 fully adjustable platforms outside the left an right arm, in a natural position for a throttle and joystick. The platforms can be switched left and right, for left/right handed people. The chair was not only comfortable, but the platforms were solidly mounted so that they did not wobble or move when executing difficult maneuvers. They also have complete set-ups for driving and FPS games. where the driving seat feels like a cockpit of a race car. To see more http://www.playseat.com/


Some neat stuff:

Interactive gaming is being introduced to Broadband television.

Console games are the dominant feature at E3, PC users were not left out in the cold, however consoles were in the majority for game development.

Some other space / flight sims showing off black prophesy, BattleStar Galactica MMO and EA is putting out a Lego flight sim.

Best booth so far EA sports, video wall, flashing lights, booth babes and more EA employees per square inch than a lot of the competition. They are also letting people play about 10 - 12 titles.

Notably absent in any way shape or form : Blizzard

Best swag so far: I caught a SW:TOR shirt at the last presentation.


Tomorrow I try and sneak into the Bethesda booth and I slow down and ask more questions. Remember all, if you have a question, either PM me or post to get my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment