Tuesday, June 15, 2010

E3 Day 1

First of all, since I haven't posted yet, an introduction. I'm ww2jacob (or Melwhin on the JGE forums) and I'm one of the NetDevil guests at E3 this year.

I've taken some time to think about E3 today before posting anything. Partly because I made the 6 hour drive from my home in Phoenix this morning and then went to the show straight afterwards, so some rest time was definitely in order first. But a big part of it was also that the whole thing was just a hell of a lot to take in.

I was expecting a lot out of this show, but honestly the scale of it exceeded even those expectations. It was big, it was crowded, it was confusing, and it was also 100% awesome. You can watch the videos all over the internet, hear about it from people, and see pictures, but nothing really compares to being there in the middle of it all.

So yes, it was big. Big enough that in my 4 or 5 hours today at the show I did more wandering around aimlessly than anything else. I couldn't focus on any one thing long enough to fight off the rising temptation to visit the next booth, to see what was on the other side of that giant LEGO Hagrid or life-size Cylon statue (yes there were both!). Still, I managed to get some hands-on time with a few games I've been interested in, like Killzone 3 and Super Scribblenauts. In general, Soulmirror is right that it seems to be mostly console games, and most of the PC games were Free to Play MMOs of some sort or another. And yes, no Valve or Blizzard. Valve evidently has a closed booth somewhere, from what I could gather, and Blizzard I believe does everything at BlizzCon now.

The good thing is that I now know where most everything is at and I'm going to be actively seeking more things out tomorrow. One thing that shocked me was that I couldn't seem to find anything SWTOR related on the actual show floor, though I think probably I just missed it. I get the feeling it's probably tucked back in a corner somewhere in the EA booth, in which case I am finding it tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm still very much looking forward to the ND Jumpgate event on Thursday, which I think will probably be the highlight of the event for me.

Pictures and more specifics tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment